Monday, October 25, 2010

Story and Meatballs

I have made it known that I am not a big meat fan. It's more or less I am just picky about my meat and how I will eat it. Growing up I loved to have spaghetti but my mom always made a meat marinara sauce. Since I thought that was gross -and my mom did what any mother would do and didn't make me my own sauce- I would just take the back of the spoon rub it over the sauce then spread it on my noodles. Giving me a light spread of just marinara!

When I got married I was so excited to make spaghetti- my way!!! I prepared a great meal of spaghetti, bread, and some kind of vegetable I am sure. When we sat down to eat my husband said, "Where is the meat?" With a big smile I said, "I didn't use any because I don't like it." He went on to inform me that he can't eat spaghetti without meat. I was heartbroken.

I was back to making spaghetti the way I didn't like until I made dinner for the family I worked for. It was then that I learned of a new recipe that would help us both get what we like. It is so good that we all prefer to have spaghetti and meatballs even over plain marinara. I have since improved the recipe using fresher ingredients and a homemade breadcrumb that I keep on hand and stored in the freezer.

Nana's Meatballs

1 lb. Ground Beef
3/4 cup Italian Style Breadcrumbs
1 egg beaten
1 1/2 T of Parmesan Cheese
1 T. finely chopped Parsley (fresh or dried)
1 tsp. of Grated Onion
1-2 Garlic Cloves

Combine all ingredients.  Roll into desired sized balls.  Place in lightly sprayed 9x13 pan.  Cook for 30 minutes on 350.

These do well frozen after they are cooked and then reheated when needed.

Italian Breadcrumbs

1 cup of plain breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp.dried parsley
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. dried basil

I use my homemade bread to make the breadcrumbs.  Sometimes I will save a few pieces- usually the heels and out in the freezer until I am ready to use.  Then I blend them up to use with this recipe. 

Mix all ingredients and put on a baking sheet.  Broil for a few minutes to get a nice crisp texture.  The time will depend on how stale or moist your bread is.  This is an easy alternative to buying breadcrumbs- and you know everything that is in it.

I store my leftovers in a container in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment