Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pumpkin Waffles

I got this recipe from Green Smoothie Girl.  I did like the batter but I did realize that I am not a waffle fan.  My waffle maker drives me crazy and I don't like cleaning it.  I think the batter could also work as pancakes and I just may give it a try another day.  For you waffle lovers try this and let me know what you think.

Pumpkin Waffles

2 cups whole-wheat flour (finely ground- soft white or hard wheat or a combo)
2 cups regular rolled oats
1 cup yogurt or kefir
2 ½ cups water
1 (30 oz.) can pumpkin
¼ cup coconut oil (liquid)
3 Tbsp. Sucanat or unrefined coconut sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. sea salt
1 ½ tsp. baking powder (no aluminum), reduce by ½ tsp. if you soaked grains overnight

2 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs (organic, free range)

Mix rolled oats in your high-power blender to break them down to a coarse meal. Mix the whole-wheat flour, oats, yogurt, and water together, then cover and let sit overnight (optionally). In the morning, add the remaining ingredients and mix by hand, but don’t overmix. Batter is dense, and baking time usually must be longer than waffle timer indicates. Top with Quick Raw Applesauce or plain yogurt, and real maple syrup.

*Recipe Notes
I used natural buttermilk- i.e. raw milk that had expired- instead of the yogurt and used about 2 1/2 cups to get a good soak.  Also, we did not use the raw applesauce due to time (although I am sure it isn't very time consuming).  We had sliced apples instead but I am excited to try the raw applesauce next time.

Quick Raw Applesauce

4 large Jonathan or Fuji apples, washed/cored/quartered
1 cup water
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
1/3 cup (or more, to taste) maple syrup

Pulse all ingredients in high-power blender for a chunky sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment