Thursday, October 21, 2010

Onion as a cold remedy

My 18 month old is getting his molers in.  His only reaction to teething, besides the normal drooling and gnawing, is a croupy like cough and constant runny nose. 

He usually only starts his coughing at night when he is in bed.  Last night my husband said, "He has been coughing for a long time. He has to be uncomfortable."  He wasn't crying so I was just going to let him cough it out.  That is why our bodies cough- there is something in there that needs to be coughed out.  However, I started to pay more attention and the coughing was pretty consistent.  So I went into the kitchen, cut up an onion, put it in a bowl, and set it right by his crib.  His coughing stopped immediately.  It was amazing.  He also woke up with a clear nose this morning. 

The running nose has started back up but if I can help him have a comfortable nights sleep I am okay with his body doing it's thing and draining during the day.  I love such natural remedies with things that you more then likely have in your kitchen already.

3 comments:

  1. did you put water in the bowl with the onion-or just by itself? My 2 year old goes on coughing spells at night, so I will give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do this for Josiah- but I'll have to find somewhere to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just onion no water-- Just bare through it, the results are worth it. Make sure to air the room out after I forgot to do that and my daughter that shares a room with him was not very happy! :)

    ReplyDelete