Friday, October 29, 2010

Chili and Chili Pies

We have made it a tradition to have Chili for Halloween (except for the one year I burned it when my sister was here and I think we ordered pizza).  This year I am debating on whether or not to do it because of the move and if I do which day to do it on.

Since Halloween is on Sunday this year our church will be holding their trunk-or-treat on Saturday night.  We will also not be letting our children trick-or-treat on Sunday.  We recognize Sunday as the Sabbath and feel like no matter what holiday falls on this day it should continue to be recognized as a holy day and day of rest.

Whether we do the Chili on the night we go trick-or-treating or on Halloween it will still be good and will be something I look forward to.  The more I think about it I think we can manage to whip up a pot of Chili.

Now once again we have another meal that is in great debate at our home.  My husband likes traditional chili with just meat.  I however like less meat and more black beans.  Sometimes he doesn't win this one- seeing that I am making a special pot just for him-that goes against everything we tell our kids, huh?

We also have two chili recipes we switch between.  One is my tried and true one that we have used for years.  The other is on the back of my husband's favorite chili seasoning that his Grandpa got him hooked on.  I have to say I do prefer this seasoning. I would love to start make homemade chili seasoning but with such a big supply of Chugwater Chili I haven't ventured out, yet.

We also enjoy our chili over a bed of fritos and sprinkled with cheese making a chili pie.

Here are the recipes-take your pick- and enjoy!

Mary Kathryn's Chili


2 Tablespoons oil
1 lb. ground beef
1 c. chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 (15 oz.) cans kidney or black beans
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 T. chili powder
1 T. distilled Vinegar
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper

Brown Hamburger in oil.  Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft.  Pour off any excess fat.  Stir in beans, crushed tomatoes, chili powder, and vinegar.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Heat to boiling, reduce heat.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Chugwater Chili
2lb ground beef

No comments:

Post a Comment