Thursday, October 28, 2010

Simple Perfect Enchiladas

Last time I made this for my husband he said they were the best enchiladas he has ever had.  I gave credit to the fact it uses ground beef and my man simply likes himself some red meat.  I kept this in mind but hadn't made them for awhile. When I finally had the meal planned life got crazy with the move.  Having the ingredients on hand made it so I had no excuse to make them.  It was a nice treat in the middle of our crazy week to have a homemade meal. 

Simple Perfect Enchiladas- from: Your Homebased Mom

Sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
  • 1 Tablespoon All-purpose Flour
  • 1 can (28 Ounce) Enchilada Or Red Sauce
  • 2 cups Chicken Broth
  • ½ teaspoons Salt
  • ½ teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons Chopped Cilantro
Meat
  • 1-½ pound Ground Beef
  • 1 whole Medium Onion, Finely Diced
  • 2 cans (4 Ounce) Diced Green Chilies
  • ½ teaspoons Salt
Tortillas
  • 10 whole (to 14) Corn Tortillas
  • ½ cups Canola Oil
Assemble
  • 3 cups Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
  • ½ cups Chopped Black Olives
  • 1 cup Chopped Green Onions
  • ½ cups Chopped Cilantro
Preparation Instructions
Step #1 – The Sauce
In a large saucepan over medium heat, add oil and flour and whisk together to make a paste, cooking for one minute. Pour in the red sauce, chicken broth, cilantro, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30-45 minutes.

Step #2 – The Meat
Brown the meat with onions in a skillet. Drain off fat. Stir in 2 cans diced green chilies and seasoned salt. Set aside.

Step #3 – Tortillas
Heat canola oil in a small skillet over medium heat. One by one, using tongs, fry tortillas in oil until soft, not crisp – about 30 seconds per side. Remove to a paper—towel lined plate. Repeat until all tortillas have been fried.

Step #4 – Assembly
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour ½ cup red sauce in bottom of baking pan. Spread to even out. Dip each tortilla into red sauce, then remove to work surface. Spoon meat, a little grated cheese, a little black olives, and green onions in the center of tortilla. Roll up and place, seam down, in baking pan. Repeat until pan is filled. Pour extra red sauce over enchiladas. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle cilantro over enchiladas before serving.

*Recipe Notes
I used olive oil for the sauce.  I used flour tortillas for the kids because they don't care for the corn tortillas and instead of completely "frying" all the tortillas I lightly spritzed with my Pam olive oil and then cooked in a skillet- but will use my griddle next time.

This time my husband said, "Have we had these before."  I never know what I will get with him it sometimes seems like his taste buds go through drastic changes.  I very cautiously told him yes and re-stated what he had said about them the first time.  He agreed again that these are the best enchiladas he has had.  There is just something about this combination they are so good!!  My 6 year old and 1 year old each had 1 1/2. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment