Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Oatmeal pancakes

I don't consider myself a pancake lover but it seems that I keep coming across some good recipes for nice, healthy, and hearty pancakes.  I have also found that with a little preparation it can be a rather quick breakfast that pleases everyone.

The thing with these pancakes is that they require you to be prepared.  You have to soak the oatmeal in buttermilk overnight.  Which is perfect for being prepared.  If you decide you want pancakes the day of the blender pancakes are pretty easy too.  Don't worry, though- I have a few other ones I am waiting to try too.


Oatmeal Pancakes- with my healthy twist

2 cups of dried old fashioned oats
2 cups of buttermilk- if you don't have buttermilk you can add 1 1/2 tsp. of vinegar to every 1/2 cup of milk.  In my case I used Goats milk.
1/2 cup whole wheat/whole white wheat
2 eggs
2 T coconut oil
1/3 cup rice milk
2 T agave syrup
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

The night before combine the oats, buttermilk, and wheat flour in a large bowl.  Stir well.  Cover with plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator overnight.  I continue to get prepared the night before and pre-measure the other dry ingredients and cover in a little bowl.  I get my griddle out and measuring cups ready for the milk and coconut oil.  This makes it so easy to whip up in the a.m. before all the kiddies wake up.

In the morning add eggs, coconut oil, agave, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.  Mix until just combined.

Ad the milk till it is a good pancake consistency- I have always used the whole 1/3 cup.  Cook on a griddle.  Be sure not to smash them down.  They are nice fluffy pancakes.  We eat ours with maple syrup and a plate of fruit.

So yummy!!  The leftovers (if you have any) make for a good snack too.

Original recipe here.

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious Mary Kathryn. I have some coconut Oil and haven't used it yet, so I'll try it with pancakes. I'm subscribing to your blog and will definitely direct people here for good ideas!

    ReplyDelete