Saturday, May 1, 2010

Brownies

I love brownies!  Seriously-- love them.  A hot brownie with vanilla ice cream- oh so yummy.  I, unfortunately, can eat a whole pan if it is left out.  I have to admit it is one of the things that I think just tastes better coming from a box.  Lately I have been on the search for a great-homemade-brownie recipe.  I think I have come across some that work for different kind of brownie lovers.

First: is my favorite- fudgey and rich.  I found this recipe at foodnetwork.com- I can't seem to find the actual link.

Rich and Fudgey Brownie -- no picture it was gone that fast!

1/2 cup of butter
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350

Melt the butter and chocolate together in a medium pan over very low heat.  Stir together and remove from the heat.  Add sugar, eggs, and vanilla.  Mix well.  Stir in the flour and salt.  Spread the mixture into a buttered 8 in. square pan.  Bake until set- the original recipe says 40 minutes but mine only took 20.  Cool before cutting.

Second: is the same recipe as the first but if you like a milky chocolate taste use semi-sweet baking chocolate instead of the unsweetened.  That's all I had the first time I made them and they turned out good just not as rich as I like.

Third: is a recipe I found from Pioneer Women.  I have to say I haven't really looked at this site except from following links from one of my favorite foody bloggers and searching for a brownie recipe.  These brownies came out with a great texture.  Not cakey not fudgey just in the middle.  My husband preferred these and that's why I am including it.


 Fudge Brownies

12 T. cocoa powder
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350

In large pot melt cocoa powder and butter stirring constantly.  Stir in sugar.  Remove from heat and mix in eggs and vanilla.  Stir in flour.  Spread in greased 9x13 pan.  Bake for 35 minutes (do not overbake).

I have come to the conclusion that if you like cakier- us cocoa powder- for fudgey use the baking chocolate.  Over the stove melting works best- trust me I tried a recipe before that totally bombed- yuck! 

Next I will try substituting the flour with whole white wheat flour-- I don't want to give up the sugar part yet.

1 comment: