Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Birthday Cake

**Updated with resources

My little guy just turned one year old this week.  I was going to make one of his favorites as his cake but his big sisters insisted that he have a real cake.  So I went on a search for something healthy that wouldn't have any bad side affects for him the next day.  I called my sister (whose son has a sensitivity to gluten and that is the kind of thing I was looking for) and after a few suggestions and discovering this blog I knew I had found what I was looking for.

Now I would love to share the recipe and my final product and rave about how good it was but unfortunately I screwed up pretty big and am not that pleased with my finished product- that's why it has taken me so long to even post about it.

I forgot to add an ingredient- thinking that my cake had only been in there for a few minutes I hurried and got it out to remix everything (it uses quite a few eggs so I was not willing to start over).  Well, it wasn't till I was doing this that I realized the cake had been in there a little longer then I thought.  Oh well, it was worth a try and actually didn't turn out too bad.

The original recipe is here.  Hers looks amazing and I hope the next time I make it mine will look good too.  Some changes I did make:  for the mixture you pour over the cake I added a little agave and coconut milk.  I knew I needed to make up for my mistake.  It was a good choice.

Now the cake didn't go to waste-- all of it got eaten.  The birthday boy loved it and his sisters liked it too- although, they preferred it without the frosting.  Give it a try and let me know how it is when you don't mess up.  Remember no matter how prepared you are you can still make a mistake-don't forget the measuring cup that is sitting next to you of coconut milk!!!  I will attempt it again and hopefully have better to say about it.

**Resources:
Coconut oil (virgin unrefined)
Coconut flour
Coconut milk


You can find all three of these things in your local health food store.  However, we have found that you will pay more for the coconut oil when you buy it in small quantities from the health food store.  The others are worth buying in your local store for a quick get.  I will be ordering that specific coconut flour as it has been highly recommended.  Wal Mart and grocery stores may sale the coconut milk also you need to look in the asian/thai food isles.

3 comments:

  1. i am SO trying that! we {heart} coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks yummy, I am interested in the coconut flour. I just might have to try this for a fun summer sunday dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds really yummy but i went to the store today to find the ingredients for it. and unfortunately i could not find coconut oil and milk. so do i have to go to the nutrition store for those?

    ReplyDelete