Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Lemon Bars

I have spent the past few days working hard as a mom and being pampered as a mom.  I am completely refreshed and ready for a new week.

This past weekend we had a yard sale.  My girls have been wanting to have a lemonade stand for a long time.  I decided a yard sale would be a great time since it would be attracting so many people down our street.  But instead of Lemonade I suggested Lemon barsLets be a little different- and really, who could resist?  Well, not many people. 

Lemon Bars

Crust:
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
2/3 cup of confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened

Filling:
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups of white sugar
3 T. all-purpose flour
1/4 cup lemon juice

confectioners' sugar to decorate

Preheat oven to 375
Butter a 9x13in. baking pan

Combine the ingredients for the crust and press down into the buttered baking pan.  It will be crumbly so work with it a little bit in the pan to reach the thickness and texture you want.  I barely go up the sides but do as you please.  Bake for 20 minutes in preheated oven.  Sometimes I prefer a softer crust and will check on it until it just begins to brown and remove. 

While the crust bakes combine the ingredients for the filling and mix until frothy.  Pour this mixture over the hot crust, once it is done.

Return to the preheated oven for an additional 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden brown.  Cool on a wire and decorate with sifted confectioners' sugar.


My love for lemon bars comes from gatherings at my grandmother's.  She always had events catered and these were on the top of the list.  Mine are a thinner version but if you like it thick just double the filling.  My five year old helped me make these and we put in a bit more of lemon juice until she thought it was "lemony enough."

2 comments:

  1. I can taste them right now!! I'm sure mom will drool when she read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally am - my mouth is watering! Good thing I didn't pass by your yard sale! My favorite!

    ReplyDelete