Sunday, May 2, 2010

Taco seasoning for anyone

My oldest daughter loves tacos- as she does most foods- but they definitely rank on the top of the list with chicken and fries and salmon.  However, my five year old has geographic tongue which seems to make her tongue a little more sensitive so she would never eat them. 

A few years ago we used to be avid watchers of 30 minute meals with Rachael Ray.  She made a meal called tacozagna and while making it she made a comment about when you do your own seasonings verses a prepackage mix you are in control of the taste and heat.  I don't know why but that had never dawned on me before. I ended up making that meal and my little sensitive one loved it.  Ever since then I have adapted that seasoning mix as our own taco seasoning.  I adjust the heat to make it just right for her and, in my opinion, it tastes so much better then the packaged stuff.



Taco Seasoning

2 lb. ground beef
3 garlic cloves
2 T. Chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
2 1/2 tsp. coriander
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
appx. 1 cup chicken broth

Heat a large high sided skillet over medium-high heat with oil. Add the meat and brown- drain if desired.  Add minced or grated garlic then season the meat with chili, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper and cook 7 to 8 minutes more. Stir in desired chicken stock.  Cover and simmer till ready to eat.

We are going to have our leftovers in a taco salad tomorrow mixed with black beans.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to have this!!! Thank you! I have tongue problems too and break out from certain spices and combinations of things. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete