Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Long Simmered Spaghetti Sauce

I have been on a search for a good spaghetti sauce- good tasting and good for you.  I have found a winner, for now.  It couldn't have been easier and my house smelled delicious all day.

I made some adjustments to the original recipe according to what I had on hand and to satisfy taste buds. Follow the link to see the original recipe.



Long Simmered Spaghetti Sauce
1/2 an onion grated
2 garlic cloves
*For the chopped tomatoes and tomato sauce all I had was diced tomatoes so I took some of the diced tomatoes and blended very well till I got 8 oz. to substitute for the sauce.  We have some texture issues so I also put 28 oz. of the diced tomatoes in the blender and pulsed till I reached a good consistency.
1 6 oz. can of tomato paste
1 cup of chicken broth
2 tsp. of Italian seasoning
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Combine in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.  You may need to adjust the salt according to the salt content of your tomato products.

This was very satisfying and I had plenty of leftovers. We will be using it on a homemade pizza tonight- recipe for the soaked whole wheat crust to come.

I do not object to adding the original meat.  I just like to have control over my meat intake and having meatballs is more appealing to me then meat in the sauce.  However, I think that being in a slow cooker all day with some meat would be a great addition to this sauce.

2 comments:

  1. Did you use fresh tomatoes? I am excited to try this. My sister just asked for a good spagetti sauce recipe because they just planted about 50 tomato plants in their back yard, I will send her here!

    Meat balls are WAY better anyway!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the thought to use fresh after I put my cans of diced tomatoes in. I bet it would be really good to use fresh and the fresh herbs called for in the original recipe. She may want to use extra tomato paste just in case for some reason the fresh is juicier.

    ReplyDelete