Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Hot Sandwiches

This is a recipe that I found in a family recipe book given to me by my sister-in-law.  It is just one of those things that we just have to have every once in awhile.  As we were eating it my husband asked, "Is this even remotely healthy?"  Well, no not really.  You can use organic butter- and mustard isn't bad for you- and we do choose Boar's Head chicken- but really those are just stretched out excuses.  I think I will try to come up with something along the same idea that is healthy.  I will work on that. For now enjoy this recipe- it really is good.  .


Please excuse the vague amounts for the ingredients as it is truly up to you and your families size and preference.

Hot Sandwiches

Sliced Swiss cheese   -Even if you don't like Swiss give it a try it may surprise you. Maybe try a mild Swiss.
Any type of lunch meat sliced thin  -we prefer chicken the original recipe calls for ham
1/2 c. softened butter
2 T mustard
Buns or rolls  -we have tried kaiser rolls, fancy buns, dinner rolls, any good roll works.  Pictured is a Ciabatta type hoagie roll

Mix together butter and mustard.  Spread on both sides of the bun.  Put a slice (or two) of cheese and meat on the bun.  Wrap in foil and bake at 350 for 15 minutes- if it is a bigger bun you will want to go longer.

The foil method makes this sandwich what it is.  I am thinking of doing a butter and herb mixture with some mozzarella, tomato, and spinach on a homemade sourdough roll.  Now that sounds good and even healthy!

3 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering...I am going to have to have this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe this is the first time i am posting on here. i check daily, really. but lately that's all i get to do is check-for about 1 min. d will not let me put him down, seriously. I love this blog! And is this to obvious, but anything on a whole wheat roll, i consider healthy!

    ReplyDelete