Monday, June 7, 2010

Roasted Chicken and Vegetables

On my new findings in the blog world I have come across some amazing blogs that talk about eating nourishing foods.  When I come across a new find it is hard to break me away from it.  I love to learn about new things and find some new recipes to try.  Whether it be reminding me of something I already knew or giving me a whole new look on foods I get excited and am ready to be in the kitchen.

One of my new finds was the recipe for Roasted Chicken and Vegetables from Nourishing Days.

I, of course, changed things around for what we had on hand and our preferences.  I like to refer to my version as, Roasted Vegetables and Chicken -we only had two chicken breasts therefore the Vegetable to Chicken ratio was much higher.  The main thing I got from this was the spice rub for the chicken.

Chicken Spice Rub:

1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dried thyme (I had a poultry seasoning that had thyme in it so that is what I used)
1/8 tsp. cayenne
1/2 tsp. paprika

-Mix
I had leftovers and have just stored it in a container with my other spices.  This would be worth mixing a few batches and having on hand.

I put two chicken breasts in my crock-pot with a little bit of chicken broth.  I rubbed 2 T. of melted butter (I don't think there really was a need for this since I did it in the crock-pot I just tried to follow the original recipe) on the chicken then rubbed in the spice mixture.  Due to lack of time I started the chicken on my high for 6 hours setting.  I started to prepare the vegetables- cut carrots, red potatoes, onion, and a few cloves of minced garlic.  I eventually added the vegetables with some more chicken broth and water to get a good covering over everything. 

Our house smelled amazing and oddly enough the 2 chicken breasts and lots of veggies filled all 5 of our bellies- little fella doesn't eat chicken and didn't take to the veggies till after a plate of cottage cheese.


Don't forget to enter the giveaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment