Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Soaked Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

This pizza dough was excellent!!

I am really loving this new method of soaking my grains.  It helps me be prepared and actually makes things a little easier when it is time to make the meal.  Our stomachs feel great and not heavy and weighed down.  One thing I loved about this pizza dough- besides the soft yummy taste- is that I have two bags in my freezer full of dough ready to make two more pizzas.

 Soaked Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

3 cups of water (about 110F)
8-10 cups of whole wheat flour
1-2 T of your acidic component- buttermilk, kefir, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup of honey
2 T dry active yeast
1/2 cup of water (about 110F)
1 tsp. honey
1 T salt

You want to soak the flour in advanced to receive the full nutrients and break down the phytates.

Soaking: Combine flour, 3 cups of water, honey, and acidic component.  Adding the honey for the soaking process helps keep the dough moist.  Cover and leave on counter in a warm place for 12-24 hours.

After soaking activate the yeast in the remaining 1/2 cup of water and 1 tsp. of honey.

Combine activated yeast, salt, and soaked mixture.  You may need to add more flour to achieve a workable yet moist dough.  (I was frustrated with this process at first due to like the reasons to soaking grains but I didn't have to add a lot of flour and we still had great results.)

Knead for 5-10 minutes.  Let rise for thicker dough.

Divide into four sections for four 15 in. pizza crusts.  Put the extra dough in individual freezer bags and store in the freezer.

Place the dough out on the pan you are going to use and form it.  I was able to just use my hands- the dough was very easy to work with.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees and cook for 10-15 minutes.

For my toppings I rubbed organic butter and fresh minced garlic onto the crust.  Then added my long simmered spaghetti sauce, raw mozzarella cheese, sprinkled with Italian seasoning and a touch of garlic salt.

1 comment: