Thursday, July 15, 2010

Soup in 100+ degree weather

Yes, I made soup for us last week. Yes, it was hot outside but I just had to give it a try. That is one of my weaknesses- when I come across a recipe that interests me I usually have to make it and make it soon no matter what. Being anxious to sprout and try some lentils this seemed like the perfect opportunity.


Slow Cooker Sprouted Lentil Soup

2 cups green lentils, sprouted or soaked overnight
2 large carrots, diced
1 large onion, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
1 cup cooked, diced turkey bacon
4-6 cups chicken stock or water
2 bay leaves
1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
sea salt and plenty of black pepper to taste

For sprouting instructions go here. Note that you will need to start the sprouting process a few days ahead of time.

Combine all ingredients EXCEPT crushed tomatoes in slow cooker. (The acidity of the tomatoes tend to make the lentils toughen). Cook on high four to six hours or until lentils are tender.

Add the crushed tomatoes, salt and plenty of black pepper to taste. Cook an additional 30 minutes or up to two hours.

Remove the bay leaves and serve alongside a salad or bread if you like.



This makes a nice warm- comforting soup.  This will be a regular when the weather gets cold.  I will  serve it along with something else as my 2 year old didn't care for it (she is the reason I made it because she loves soup, go figure!).  My 6 year old, however, had three bowls and leftovers for lunch the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment