Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Soaked Whole Wheat Biscuits and much more

If you haven't tried this whole soaking business- do!  It really isn't that hard or time consuming.  It just takes a little bit of planning to be able to soak for 12-24 hours but who doesn't like to have things planned out?  It makes things easier.  I can definitely tell a difference when I slack and stop soaking grains.  Especially with my one year old- his tummy just can't handle the grains but if they have been soaked it is no problem for him.

I am so very excited to share these next two recipes.  I had originally planned on making the biscuits to go along with some eggs and turkey bacon but at the last minute I changed my mind and decided to try to make one of my favorite breakfast foods much healthier.

Here is my healthy version of Chocolate Gravy (I will include the non-healthy version too).  If you haven't had chocolate gravy just trust me and make the version that best suits you.


Soaked Whole Wheat Biscuits

2 1/1 cups of whole wheat flour
6 T of coconut oil
3/4 cup of coconut tonic water
1 T of lemon juice or raw apple cider vinegar

1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt

The night before, measure the flour into a medium size bowl. Using a pastry cutter cut in the coconut oil into the flour. When the oil is the size of peas or smaller, you are done. Add the coconut milk tonic and lemon juice/vinegar, and mix in until just combined. Leave overnight at room temperature, well covered. 

The next morning preheat the oven to 450. Press down the dough a bit right in the bowl. Sprinkle the baking soda, baking powder and salt on top of the dough, then fold it in half, top to bottom and press down firmly Fold in half again from the side, and press down firmly again. Starting at the top, repeat this process until you have folded the dough about 10-15 times (do so until you feel the rising agents and salt have been well mixed).

Place on a clean surface, and roll out into a rectangle. It should be about 1/2 an inch thick.  You can use biscuit cutters to get nice round biscuits, but I like to simply cut it into squares as there is no waste this way. A pizza cutter works great here. I cut them into small pieces, so I get 20 pieces. If you wanted to make bigger biscuits I recommend that you lower the temperature to 425 degrees and cook for a bit longer .

Place on an un-greased cookie sheet or jellyroll pan and pop it in your preheated oven. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the top and bottom is lightly browned and the middle is cooked all the way through. Remove to cooling racks when done.




Biscuits are best warm, but we certainly enjoy them cold too!



Healthy Chocolate Gravy


1 1/2 cups of coconut tonic water
1 egg
1/4 cup of agave
1 T of cocoa
1 T of organic butter
2 T of whole wheat flour
1 tsp. of vanilla

Mix coconut milk, egg, agave, cocoa and vanilla in a small bowl and set aside.

Melt the butter in a saucepan.  As it begins to melt add the flour whisking together. Slowly pour in the wet mixture and continue to whisk.  It should start to thicken.  When it comes to a boil remove from heat and add vanilla.  As it sits it should set up into a nice gravy like substance.  Pour over biscuits and enjoy!


Original Chocolate Gravy


1 1/2 cups of milk
1 egg
1/4 cup of sugar
1 T of cocoa
1 T of organic butter
2 T of whole wheat flour
1 tsp. of vanilla


Follow the same instructions and use the drop biscuit recipe on the back of the Bisquick box.



1 comment:

  1. OH YUMMY!! I think I need to make these. I do have a question. I understand soaking grains, but soaking flour?? What does that do? Also what is Raw apple cider vinegar?

    I need to make the healthy version of this now that we have tried the naughty version!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete