Thursday, April 15, 2010

bucking up to raise little mom's

A few months ago a friend of mine shared how she was letting her four children help plan out meals and follow through with helping to prepare the meal they picked.  My thoughts were, "That is so neat for her, but there is no way I could do that."

As time went on I started thinking about how much my two oldest girls would like that.  I remember when I was little and I used to sit and do my homework in the kitchen while watching my mom cook. That is where, I believe, my love for cooking and being a mom started.  I would really hate to deny my daughters of that same opportunity.

So I softened up a little bit and figured that losing control over my kitchen for two nights a week was worth the teaching experience and bonding time. We haven't been structured enough to do it each week but when we do it is very rewarding.

The first few meals have been their favorite foods.  Salad is on the top three choices for my oldest daughter.  Here is her salad creation for one of her dinners-
tomatoes, carrots, celery, apples, cheese, black olives, cilantro, dry roasted cashews, and deviled eggs


Avocado Dressing by- GreenSmoothieGirl

2 avocados
1 C fresh lemon juice
2 T extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
2 T of Bragg Liquid Amino Acids
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
2-4 T of water to reach desired consistency

Blend all ingredients in a high powered blender until smooth.

I think the next time I make this I am  going to go maybe half on the lemon juice, a smidge less on the oil and Amino Acids.  I liked it but it was a little bit bitter, tangy, tart taste or something for the little ones.

3 comments:

  1. I have the same memories of doing homework in the kitchen while watching mom. Mom was such a great example for us in being a wonderful mom and letting us help in the kitchen. I have been helping her since I was young, I really appreciate that. We have a great mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been doing that with our kids. I don't have them do their favorite because T would pick Cottage Cheese, Apple sauce and Agave everytime, but we have them come in and help with a meal once a week. "M" is loving to cook with me, I taught her to make bread the other day and she told me that she thought maybe she could do it on her own next time...ha! I am excited to try that dressing. We are so in love with BRAGS!! Their stuff it SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did?? Wow ~ I really don't have any memory left! You are amazing MK ~ your children are SO blessed! That salad looks SO yummy!!!!OXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete