Saturday, April 24, 2010

Battle of the Popcorn

Awhile ago my husband was on a popcorn kick and bought three different kinds.  I was persistent that my homemade-healthier popcorn was better then the bagged microwave stuff.  We decided to make a night of the little disagreement and invite some friends (who are major popcorn lovers) over for a little tasting.  Can you guess which bowl of popcorn was the winner?  Would I really be blogging about it if my homemade popcorn didn't win? :)



Faux Kettle Popcorn by- GreenSmoothieGirl

1/3 cup coconut oil (in liquid form)
1/3 cup agave
1 tsp salt

Mix in blender and pour over air popped corn and toss

*This time I only added a half of the salt in the blender and then very carefully sprinkled the rest on while tossing until the desired saltiness.  It seems to me that it gets saltier the longer it sits.

The way I pop my popcorn:

2/3 cup of popcorn kernels in a paper lunch bag.  Fold the top over, loosely.  I usually set the time for 2 minutes and just listen and wait till it slows down.

I usually stop my popcorn to early to prevent from ruining it but it leaves lots of kernels.  I found that once I empty the popped stuff out I can put it back in the microwave and finish off the rest of the kernels- no wasting.

1 comment:

  1. Getting the salt just right is a bit tricky - like your suggestion. Seems it worked best for us to mix it in with the oil and agave. Now I want some! LOVE this stuff.

    ReplyDelete