Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Peanut Butter Granola Bars

Watching the Foodnetwork is a favorite past time of ours.  My oldest two girls used to watch it daily and preferred that over cartoons.  We have kind of phased out of watching it the past few years.  I told my husband a couple of months ago that I wanted to start watching it more with the kids.  I think cooking shows are great for kids to watch!  Even if they aren't making foods they normally like it sparks an interest. 

I recently recorded Giada at Home (one of our favorites- we get tickled when she pronounces things so Italian like).  She was doing a Kidz Kitchen episode and making foods with kids and for kids.  My three year old has watched the episode over and over again and gets excited every time. 

For her birthday I bought the one extra ingredient (mini chocolate chips) I needed to make the Peanut Butter Granola Bars she makes.  We re-watched the episode while we cooked and had so much fun!  Now- my three year old is a pretty spunky little girl but when she is in the kitchen it is all business.  She couldn't be more excited about this little present I gave her.  The hardest part about it all was waiting the hour for the bars to cool down enough to eat.  It was still a little warm but oh so good.

It just wouldn't be me if I didn't change things around in the recipe.  I made the appropriate changes to make it healthier and for my kids liking. 




Peanut Butter Granola Bars
(click the link to see original recipe)

1 egg white
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted*
2 cups old fashioned oats
1/3 cup miniature chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray an 8x8 baking pan and set aside.

Begin melting your stick of butter in a saucepan over medium heat.

While the butter is melting, using a hand beater, beat the egg white until frothy.  Stir in the peanut butter, coconut sugar, and honey.  Add the melted butter and oats.  Stir to combine, then add the chocolate chips.  You want to make sure the butter isn't too hot still to melt the chocolate.

Spread mixture into the prepared pan pressing lightly to form an even layer.  Bake until the edge of the mixture begins to brown, about 15 minutes.  Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 1 hour.  Cut into squares, serve, and enjoy!

*I will be trying it again using coconut oil but didn't want to change things around too much for the first time making it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment